What is a Robot?
A robot is a machine(especially a programmable robot) that can sense its environment, carry out computations to make decisions and perform tasks in the real world.
Given below are some of the interesting and funny facts about robots!
- A robot is a machine that can perform tasks humans do. A robot is programmed by a computer and hence one of the applications of computer programming.
- Robots are programmed with instructions that guide the robots to execute the tasks it is expected to perform.
- The term ‘Robot’ has been derived from the Czech word ‘Robota’ which means hard work and forced labor.
- A robot can only do what it is programmed to do.
- John McCarthy first coined the term ‘Artificial Intelligence in 1956.
- ‘Clocky’ is a robotic alarm clock that runs away from you while playing the alarm sound so that you get out of the bed to stop it!
- According to the Experts, human-robot marriage will be legal by 2050.
- According to a study, Japan will have 1 million of industrial robots by the year 2025.
- A robot named “Shakey” became the first robot to use artificial intelligence to make its own decisions in 1966.
- There is a small category of robot called a nanobot. It is less than one-thousandth of a millimeter.
- An Italian movie named ‘The Mechanical Man’ was the first movie to show robot fights. The movie was produced in 1921.
- Sensors like microphones, video cameras, and photoresistors provide a robot with the ability to communicate with the outer world.
- A Robot gets the ability to communicate with the outer world with the help of microphones, video cameras, and different types of sensors.
- The highest level of robot density in the world is in South Korea with 631 robots per 10,000 employees.
The average robot density in Europe is 99 per 10,000 employees and in America, it is 84 robots per 10,000 employees.
- In some cases, robots are able to manipulate human emotions. In an experiment, a robot begged not to turn it off. While 30% of people agreed with the robot, the researcher refused!
- Sophia is the first humanoid robot to get country citizenship from Saudi Arabia. It was created by Hanson Robotics. The robot uses facial recognition, visual data processing and can imitate human gestures and expressions.
- There is a phobia named as Robophobia which is an anxiety disorder in which a person has a fear of robots.
- Most of us have played the rock paper scissors game. But, did you know that there is a robot that wins rock paper scissors 100% of the time. Its name is Janken!
- Android is another term used to point a robot!
- The term “Android” refers only to a male looking robot. In contrast, “Gynoid” is the term for a female robot.
- The world’s most expensive robot is Asimo. It was created by Honda and the cost to build the robot was around 2.5 million dollars.
- The Ecobots turns biological wastes into energy.
- A robot named Robear is a robotic nurse developed by a Japanese company. It has a gentle touch.
- A programmable robot must have a Central Processing Unit and a Control System. Apart from these, a robot has motors combined with other hardware parts for the movements of the robot as per the commands.
- It is important to consider safety, weight and lifecycle factors while designing a robot.
- A robot can be assigned activities that may seems to be difficult to be assigned to a normal human being. They could be exploring inside a gas tank, traveling Mars, exploring a volcano, or a hazardous contaminated environment.
- There was a robot named Raptor that can run twice as fast as a human.
- A robot is programmed using a programming language. The most popular programming languages used in robotics are C and C++. Apart from these there are Python, Java, MATLAB, LISP, and C#.